Saturday, November 07, 2020

curb appeal

Let's face it, i am about as good at relationships as the average american is at driving stick. Unlike the average American, though. I can adeptly get it to speed, navigate traffic, maybe struggle on a hill or two, but generally competent. Or was. But it/s the process of getting it to cruising speed and maintaining the steady pace that I find most difficult. I have to corner hard, down shift haphazardly, and throw in a handbrake turn on the ice before the car finally ejects me. I can/t just drive the thing like a sensible citizen. I have to abuse the mechanics until the car can take no more. Now , of course, the average American plugs in their automatic prius or sensible sedan and coolly and calmly goes about their business. Going from point a to point b, and skirting the stick shift. Slow and steady wins the race. Instead, I test drive when , and where and however possible. Cognizant of the mechanical foibles of these cars- the balky clutch, the slipping transmission, the noisy exhausts, and errant drivers seat springs popping through the upholstery- rev em up and watch em go, run em hard and run em down, or just drive hard and walk away. Hell , a poorly cleaned rearview mirror or overstuffed trunk and that’s enough to pull hard to the side of the road, engine running, and walk away. Funky vehicles with well known foibles are the embryonic and ephemeral dalliances of the day. I seem to think that I prefer to drive the perfect car to maximum speed and self sabotage, rather than respecting the hustle of the quirkier cars. Anymore, I don’t even wanna do anything but admire the cars on the street or on a website rather than take for the most harmless . Too scared of stalling out going from second to third, or breaking down on the highway to even open the door or put the key in the ignition. Why not take a step back and admire, and gently ease into gear, slowly getting to know your ride, looking out the dirty windshield rather than obsessing over the rearview mirror, frantically adjusting . Just focus ont eh road ahead, and ease away from the curb. You just might make your destination.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Betsy said...

Heh! I get it. :) I hear ya'... This is such a good read so thank you.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home