Friday, April 28, 2006

like clint eastwoods gun




Sunday april 23 winnipeg burton cummings theatre
So aside from putting tractor diesel in the van and driving in circles to get to the ‘peg, it is an easy ride in. we make it to the venue in time for some catering and an interview with a young lass who has already lined up the after party. We like that in the street team. The cribs have a rough one, at which point I retire to the hotel to try and wash the diesel out of my clothes. Franz Ferdinand play a scorcher of show, alex and nick keep jumping in the crowd to the delight of the Manitobans. It is a boisterous bunch, and definitely a franz friendly show. I arrive in our dressing room in time to see that it has been trashed completely. I advise the little piglets to do some cleaning(I am still waiting for the bill). And hot foot it in the snow, smelling of diesel, over to the kings head. I join our hostess and a few of her mates and soon the whole death cab crew, a few cribs, ben from death cab and of course all of the franz boys save the expectant father. Mr lajeunesse from seattle is our host for the week and the party is on. Thankfully we only drive 500 miles tomorrow. The franz boys blow their bus call once again. Thus the bus arrives to collect them. I debate attaching our van to the back, but opt for the streets.
Monday april 24 the road to Saskatoon
Uneventful 500 mile drive through some beautifully flooded countryside. I nearly hit a duck that is playing chicken by attempting suicide by econoline. Quacker ass quacker.
We stop for some patty melts and poutine somewhere and back in the van and onwards to Saskatoon. No water slide, no pool. But dvd/s. shippo, ross and I go to tony romas for ribs and pints. The end is near.
Tuesday april 25 edmonton shaw conference centre
Another blasé drive through the outback, I am one tired individual, to be sure. Not much to report other than the security guard threatens ry, which naturally makes him unhappy, and the boys do not even hit it out of the infield. I am still bummed as I got lost on the way in. I watch death cab bring the house down, for about 6 songs. Are they a top band or what? I am won over, that’s for sure. I miss all of franz and the after party in the sky to indulge myself in a flea pit hotel and the latest merch numbers.
Wednesday april 26 calgary stampede corral
Easy drive and a great country breakfast at a place called grumpys on the way in. the lads are in good shape, full of laughs from the night before. We are playing in a rodeo hall or something like that. It is big and booming and there appears to be very few people there(though they too buy the merch in mad numbers). We pretty much play and go, try to capitalize on the daylight on the grueling 600 mile drive through the Canadian rockies. After 3 hours of getting nowhere really, we pull off in golden , british Columbia for 8 hours of a hotel room. Secretary is on the box, which is the last movie I need to see on the lonesome road. I fall asleep wishing that I was james spader.
Thursday april 27 the road to vansterdam
A gorgeous drive through british Columbia. Shippo gets some time in behind the wheel and we pass places called dead mans flat and kicking horse creek. Wc fields would be in nirvana. I am beat, manage to watch some hoops at the hotel whilst being poisoned by room service. At which point I head over to the end of tour party in a nice spacious pub with lots of red wine, not enough soakage, some hockey, a lot of good company, and an after party that I never quite make. I manage to stub and or break my toe kicking something to the curb, hang out in a very bizarre strip club called cecils(the eternal question of how to tip coin) for one molson Canadian and get the flock out. Judging by the state of everyone else that I see in the lobby, it was not necessarily a quiet night out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home