Wednesday, August 26, 2009

day in the life

Tuesday aug 25
After a great night out at Anaheim stadium and disappointing nightcap at turcs of sunset beach, I awake in good humor with the soothing sounds of the pacific ocean rumbling in my ears. Getting down to the business at hand of washing clothes and making phone calls to birds crew in chitown for a recap of the euro tour, I eventually jump in the rent a wreck en route to Hollywood for my first day of 15 with Scottish sensations, franz Ferdinand.
It is a rather lackluster drive up through the flat lands of the south bay inland area and up the 110 under the watchful eyes of a plethora of police helicopters. I make it to my hotel in a reasonable time to check in, drop the car off, and set about my business of the day, a very leisurely paced day, I may add. I run into a couple of the boys for a quick hello and manage to wolf down some fish tacos to keep a clean sheet of Mexican food every day whilst in sunny so cal. I finally enjoy my first solid internet connection since venturing westward and steam roll through some unanswered mails, the guts,glamour, and glory of a tour manager in todays world.
5pm bus call for our trip to the fabulous forum, the house that dreams were made of for the glory days of west, wilt, worthy, magic, kareem, kobe and shaq. Nice to see everyone again for the winding ride southbound through the Crenshaw , culver city and Baldwin hills. We park up, are met by Julie, the bands assistant and work our way into the bowels of the forum(and I must say, bowels would be a fairly apt assessment). Tonight is the fellas last night with green day, and I am sure they are a bit apprehensive as to what the last nights spoof may be. I have seen plenty of strange things on the last night of a tour over the years, tonight should be no different.
My first franz show on this record, is a quick one, support style, replete with a mock cannon, toilet paper guns, and a celtic marching band. Afterwards the green day boys come along to the dressing room for a fine champagne toast of cristal- p diddys personal beverage. Now we are really feeling like we are in l.a., sequestered in what I had been led to believe was jack nicholsons personal party space, replete with an old school electric cooker for those hot kniving evenings of yore. Catering definitely mustve been the special hellhole assigned to the boston Celtics to return the favor for the wee shitbox reserved for road teams at the old garden.
After the rapid fire show, mr kapranos, Julie and I leg it over to the wiltern for 35 minutes of the dead weather which lalo was gracious enough to bump us in the back door. Brilliant rock show and real happy to catch with all sorts of peeps hanging out aftershow, way too numerous to mention in the confines of this space. Suffice to say, a good night was had by all, as we said good night and those departed for pool parties, room parties, after parties and god knows what else. Me , I retired horizontally speaking to the missus and watching law and order reruns. Not bad for the first day of tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home